Itraconazole is recommended for cats with microsporia, as it is a synthetic antifungal drug. It can also be used against mold, yeast, or ringworm. The active components of the agent act on the membranes of the fungus, stopping the synthesis of ergosterol.
Description of the drug
The drug actively affects the development, reproduction and intensive activity of fungal microorganisms, cleansing the cat's body of parasites. Instructions for use Intracosanol for cats describes the use of active ingredients against the parasitic action of fungi such as:
- Yeast-like - these include Candida parapsilosis and Candida albicans. When exposed to them, increased appetite, dizziness, abdominal pain, damage to the mucous membranes of the mouth, nose, and ears appear.
- Mold - Aspergillus spp., Sporothrix schenckii, Coccidioides immitis and others. Accompanied by damage to the respiratory system, as well as neoplasms on the skin in the neck, head and limbs.
- Dermatophytes - the development of parasites leads to local hair loss, bald patches begin to peel off, and cat's hair becomes more brittle.
Despite the effectiveness of the drug, the parasites Candida tropicalis, Candida glabrata and some strains of fungi are very resistant to the effects of Intracosanol. Due to this, before using the medicine, it is necessary to find out which pathogen provoked the disease.
The drug is available in blister packs of 7 capsules with an active substance content of 100 mg. Packaged in cardboard boxes with instructions for use. Capsules are pink-blue in color and consist of two parts, which are easily dissolved in the stomach of the pet.
Rules for the use of Intracosanol
An antifungal agent is allowed for cats, dogs and humans. Capsules are taken orally, in which case the absorption of components from the stomach occurs as quickly and efficiently as possible. Treatment with lichen intracosanol is carried out for 1-3 months, while the concentration of the drug in the animal’s body is observed up to four weeks after cessation of therapy.
As a rule, the remedy is intended to treat people, but for complex cases of the disease it is allowed to use for cats. Its components are mostly found in wool, skin, claws and tissues with keratin content. Excretion of the drug is carried out by the kidneys and intestines in the form of urine and feces.
Dosage for the treatment of lichen
Answering the question of how to give the cat Intracosanol, it is necessary to evaluate its effect on the animal's body. The drug has a fairly high toxic effect, so it is recommended to consult a veterinarian before use. Often, for kittens, a dose of 5 mg per 1 kg of weight is prescribed, for adults - 10 mg per 1 kg of pet weight. The dosage of Intracosanol for a cat is designed to be used daily for a week, then the frequency is reduced to 1 time per week. Before and after use, all items must be disinfected, give the capsule after meals.
Contraindications and side effects of the drug
It is forbidden to give medicine when:
- Pregnancy (in extreme cases with a severe form of the disease);
- Diseases of the liver and kidneys;
- Heart disease and hearing impairment.
Symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, constipation, mild condition, or allergy to components may occur after use. A cat may feel sleepy and have a short loss of appetite.