Cats every day expose their body to the risk of infection or bacteria during mechanical damage to the eyes. Therefore, it is so important to notice suspicious symptoms in time and begin to fight them. Iris eye drops for cats have an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect. This therapeutic drug is used both for prophylaxis and for the treatment of ophthalmic pathologies.
Indications for use
Drops penetrate perfectly into the intraocular environment, which ensures the effectiveness of the drug anywhere in the eyeball. Due to this property, the tool is applicable in the fight against many eye diseases and deep mechanical damage.
Iris drops can be used for cats and dogs in the following situations:
- chronic or acute conjunctivitis, accompanied by purulent discharge from the eyes;
- thorn, which occurred during the penetration of infection into the visual organ;
- an allergic reaction to chemicals, products, medicines, which is expressed by swelling of the eyelids;
- ulcers and erosion of the cornea of the eye;
- septic iridocyclitis;
Mechanical traumatic injuries of the eyeball can also serve as a reason for the appointment of Iris. In addition, it is recommended to use it before and after surgery.
In cases where eye problems are only symptoms of diseases (chlamydia, mycoplasmosis, peritonitis, etc.), this drug may be useless.
If redness, tearing, and purulent discharge from the eyes is detected, immediately flush the cat's eyes, and then drip drops. Only after this procedure can you go for inspection.
Description of the drug
The drug in the produced vial looks like a yellowish solution without sediment.
The composition of the product includes gentamicin sulfate, which effectively fights most pathogenic bacteria. The exceptions are their anaerobic species, viruses and protozoa.
Due to the optimal ratio of salts in the preparation, it perfectly treats cat's eyes and retains a positive effect for a long time.
Contraindications to the use of this tool is an individual intolerance to the components of the drug or pregnancy of a cat.
Iris is a low-hazard substance; no side effects have been identified.
Mode of application
Before using Iris drops for a cat, you need to make sure that there are no contraindications.
Dosages and course of use should be prescribed by a veterinarian, at least by phone. Otherwise, you can harm the cat without curing eye diseases.
In the treatment of pathologies, it is very important to be able to drip iris drops to a cat correctly.
- A piece of fleece should be moistened in a decoction of herbs, boiled water or a medicine and rubbed with their eyes and the area around them. Remove all crusts and growths need to be gradually, allowing them to first soften a little.
- In one hand you need to take drops, and with the other push the lower eyelid of the cat down.
- After that, Iris can be instilled with 3-5 drops in the affected eye.
- The animal may begin to break out, but it is very important not to let it out of your hands for 3-5 minutes and let the drug act. At this time, the animal may experience redness of the eyes, itching and tearing. But this is only a temporary local reaction to the stimulus, which passes very quickly. Attempts to scratch the animal's eyes should be stopped.
- After the specified time, the cat needs to be reassured by simply gently stroking it. Then remove the appeared purulent discharge and drip another 1-2 drops.
- The procedure should be repeated 3-4 times a day for a week.
- Hands should be washed with soap after the procedure.
If Iris is used for preventive purposes, then its dose should be reduced to 1 drop twice a day.
When processing the eye in the event of a foreign object falling into it, Iris is used 1 drop 4 times a day.
Interrupting the course of treatment with the drug is not recommended. If such a situation does occur, then it should be resumed urgently in the dosages indicated above.
If an allergic reaction occurs in a cat, you should immediately go to a medical institution, taking with you a bottle of the product or a box from it.
Release form and storage
In veterinary pharmacies, Iris can be found in cardboard boxes, inside which there is a bottle with a capacity of 10, 15, 20, 30 ml, or pipettes with 1, 3, 5 ml of the product.
The drug should be stored in a dark and dry place at a temperature of + 18 ... +25 degrees in a place protected from children and animals, separately from food.
The shelf life of Iris is 3 years. But from the moment of opening it is reduced to 10 days. Unused drug must be disposed of.
At the end of the course of use, packaging must be disposed of. Using it for domestic purposes is prohibited.
Instead of a conclusion
Iris drops are an effective tool in the fight against eye diseases in cats. But its use must be agreed with the veterinarian. Self-administration of dosages of the drug is fraught with the occurrence of complications of eye diseases or the absence of a treatment result.
The drug has an increased bactericidal and prolonged action, so after passing the course of treatment, you can completely forget about the pathology of the eyes in a cat.