Food and water are the main components for the full functioning of any living organism. People often ask: "How long can a cat live without water?" For cats, nutrients are essential for life. If they are not enough, various deviations can occur that will lead to illness, exhaustion, and ultimately death. Therefore, you need to understand this issue well so as not to bring the pet to exhaustion.
The main causes of fasting
To understand why the animal began to starve sharply and how much it can live, it is worth paying attention to the behavior and characteristics of the cat's body.
There are several factors that influence the physiological and psychological state.:
- Seasonality. In hot weather, all animals need water to a greater extent, since fat is dried and burned. Cats begin to consume more moisture to maintain water balance in the body. In cold weather, they are less demanding on a large amount of water.
- Nutrition. Human food is saturated with water more than dry or wet foods intended for cats. Eating only dry food, cats need more water. With its lack, a blockage in the stomach can occur, after which the pet will be able to live for a short time.
- Breed features. At the genetic level, some cat breeds require significant amounts of food and water. Some, by our standards, eat poorly, although a small amount of food is a standard norm for them.
If the cat does not belong to a certain breed, then the cause of poor nutrition can be not only genetics, but also the cat's well-being. In case of illness, they completely or partially refuse water, which further reduces the animal's immunity.
Features of behavior and age
Young cats, according to scientists, need much less water than mature adults. Accordingly, age characteristics directly affect the need for water in one or another quantity. According to studies, for a normal life of a pet, the water norm is about 250 grams of fluid per day.
Cats experience certain situations in which cats can completely stop eating and drinking water.:
- Lack of mood. Like people, pets can hardly endure sudden changes in mood, so the appetite disappears. This is one of the most common factors that directly depend on the nutrition of the cat.
- Change the standard diet to less delicious. At first, the cat can move away from a tasteless food for her, completely stopping her consumption. However, over time, nutrition will be restored with a new diet. To prevent a possible hunger strike, new foods should be added gradually in small portions.
- Stale food. Food and water need to be constantly updated, as they may become airy. For this reason, the pet may refuse stale food, as a result of which it will begin to starve.
- Stressful situations. Some breeds experience stress much harder than others. Therefore, this factor is considered normal if it lasts no more than a few days. The longer the depression in an animal lasts, the less it can survive.
- Seasons. In warm time, the cat eats less and drinks more. When the season changes, the food completely normalizes, and the animal begins to eat with the same frequency.
- Pregnancy. As in humans, toxicosis can occur when carrying kittens. This unpleasant phenomenon discourages nutrition. Do not worry about how much a cat can do without water, as this period does not drag on for a long time.
The state of the body as a factor in fasting
The features of the life of pets should include the estrus period. At this time, the cat may partially withdraw from food and water. In rare cases, they are able to completely stop drinking and eating for three days. If fasting lasts longer than the prescribed time, then the cat can live relatively short.
Another cause of hunger strike is anesthesia surgery. Interfering with a cat in this way is a stressful situation, after which it will leave for about two days. If this dragged on for a long time, you should try to teach your cat to drink water or consult a veterinarian.
Pathologies or chronic diseases significantly reduce the lifespan without eating food. If there are any diseases, the veterinarian can tell you exactly how many pets can live without water and food. Certain measures are also prescribed that will effectively rid the cat of the state of hunger strike. The cat is able to live without food in the body with a normal fluid balance of about 9-10 days. In the absence of water or its minimum consumption, the cat's lifespan sharply decreases to 5-6 days.
Complete fasting with a refusal of food and water can last no more than two days with a normal state of the body. After this period, the formation of pathological malfunctions and a sharp weakening of the immune system begin. As a result, dehydration of the body and death occurs.
If the cat survived a long hunger strike, a sharp consumption of a large amount of food can adversely affect the condition of the pet, therefore it is forbidden to give a lot of food at once. With a sharp filling of the stomach, blockage can occur, which often leads to the death of the cat. In order for the cat to live a long life without problems, it is necessary to take food in small portions in a fractional form with a constant supply of water.
Given the fact that a cat can live without water for 2-5 days, a hunger strike leads to irreversible pathologies in the body of the animal. There are several dangerous conditions that classify failures in the pet's vital systems. It is urgent to consult a specialized doctor in the presence of such symptoms:
- A splash of liquid that the cat drinks throughout the day;
- A warm, dry nose informs about the painful condition of the pet;
- A strong increase in temperature during fasting for more than two days;
- Frequent gagging and diarrhea indicates a malfunction in the digestive system;
- Lack of response to certain signals and the nervous state of the animal.
Forcing to take food is not recommended, as this process will be perceived as violent coercive measures. Cats on an instinctive level can completely abandon food and water for safety reasons. You also need to consider the characteristics of the breed, some representatives of the feline require more freedom and calm. Therefore, they need access to walks, personal space in the form of a cozy place to sleep and relax. Under poor conditions and a bad attitude towards a cat, she may not live long, even with normal nutrition.
If for a long time there is a lack of appetite for unexplained reasons, you should immediately contact your veterinarian. An experienced doctor will be able to examine the pet and determine the cause of starvation. To normalize the condition of the cat, you must strictly follow the recommendations of the veterinarian. Sufficient attention and care for the animal is also required, in this case, appetite and a healthy state will be restored.