When there comes a touching moment of the appearance of a fluffy lump in a house a couple of months old, a huge responsibility immediately falls on the shoulders of its new owners. And those who believe that it’s enough to “feed and put to bed” are deeply wrong.
Caring for a kitten in 2 months is not only providing a roof over your head, food and a cozy place, but also many procedures to maintain the health of the pet:
- the development of a diet special for the baby in 2 months;
- toilet training, tray care;
- care for teeth, ears and eyes;
- claw care;
- the washing up;
- hair care (especially if the kitten is long-haired);
All this must be done so that the kitten in his 2 months was truly well-groomed, healthy and felt love from his new family.
Therefore (regardless of breed) you need to feed the baby fully. A well-composed menu is the mandatory inclusion in the pet's diet of the necessary products or really healthy feeds, as well as the rejection of food that is harmful to the kitten and can seriously affect its health.
General feeding guidelines
If the kitten is switched to natural feeding, it is impossible to offer him food from the owner's table in any case. You will have to cook individually for the pet. Low-fat meat and poultry, dairy products, vegetables, cereals will be very useful. (including sprouted), sometimes you can offer sea fish (also not greasy).
Do not treat your pet with ocean fish, any bones, whole milk, potatoes and pasta, and also exclude salty, smoked and spicy foods.
A kitten at 2 months should receive food 5-6 times a day. In this case, the food should not be cold or hot, salty. Products should only be fresh.
If the kitten’s feeding at 2 months is based on prepared feeds, the following conditions must be observed:
- You only need to buy packages marked "for kittens."
- Food should not be cheap (it does more harm than good) or canned food (such food can be given to an adult cat).
- Ideally, purchase products from one manufacturer, so that the kitten ate balanced in 2 months.
- It is forbidden to mix dry and wet food: digesting each of them takes a different time, and it will be very difficult for a small stomach to cope.
- If the “drying” is large, it is better to soften it in water to a mushy state.
There must always be water in constant access, especially when using ready-made dry food. Water is changed once a day for fresh.
The dishes should also be taken care of. It should be washed often so that the remnants of food do not dry out in it and do not deteriorate. Ideally, right after the kitten has eaten. Bowls should be stable, heavy (so as not to creep away from the pet during meals).
In a new house, a small kitten may well be "fined" from a habit, and this is at first excusable. But to start accustoming him "to the place" is better on the first day.
Also, while getting used to the toilet, special sprays will help, thanks to which the kitten will orient itself already in 2 months, "where it is possible, and where it is impossible":
- Accustoming (spray directly into the tray).
- Frightening (apply to those places where the baby managed to "deflect").
The main thing is not to scold or punish the pet for mistakes at first, and then, having felt kindness and patience on the part of the person, the kitten, even in its 2 months, will quickly get used to the tray.
2 months is the age when it is easiest to teach a kitten to brush his teeth. The later you start, the harder it will be to make the pet endure the execution.
It is enough to take care of the pet’s teeth only 1-2 times a month, the rest of the time the kitten itself cleans the plaque by gnawing solid food (dry croquettes, chicken or meat cartilages, etc.).
When caring for your teeth, it is better to use special brushes and pastes with an attractive smell and taste of your favorite foods for pets, as this makes it easier to learn the procedure. You can buy everything you need in veterinary pharmacies.
The eyes of a healthy kitten are always wet. But if dry crusts appeared in the inner corners, pus is a sign of a disease. Eye care in this case is necessary. The accumulations are removed with a cloth soaked in boric acid or in a solution of furatsilina (as directed by the veterinarian) in the direction outside to the nose.
With normal lacrimation, eye care does not require special funds from the pharmacy. It is enough to wash in the same direction (to the nose) with ordinary tea leaves or a decoction of chamomile.
Tip: during the procedure, it is better not to use cotton swabs or discs, because individual villi fall into the eyes and cause discomfort, which will make further eye care problematic.
Care for kittens' ears at 2 months does not need to be done often, because their shells are usually still clean. But checks for the presence of earwax (dark spots) from time to time must be carried out necessarily. Remove dirt as necessary with a cotton swab lubricated with oil or cosmetic petroleum jelly.
When cleaning, do not try to insert the stick deep into the ear, it is enough to remove the available spots. With proper conduct, almost every kitten tolerates the procedure calmly. This procedure is not only hygienic, but also an excellent prevention against ear mites. It is necessary to carry out cleaning with an individual frequency (as it gets dirty), but on average - 1 time per month.
At the age of two months, it is time for the kitten to do the first vaccination. It is very important not to miss this moment, so as not to bring down the further sequence of vaccinations, because the next vaccination is already in 3 months, then in 12 months. After this is repeated once a year throughout the life of the animal.
With claws, you can, in principle, do nothing at all if you are not sorry for the upholstery. In the opposite case, you will have to wean the pet from the habit of tearing everything in a row. There are several ways to do this:
- buy a clawpot, spray it with catnip, which is attractive to these pets, and teach how to use it, gently tracing its claws with its claws extended to cover the device (often clawcloths are already sold impregnated with special compounds to attract the attention of cats);
- put caps on the claws and follow the reaction of the kitten (will it be convenient for him to wear them);
- cut the claws, cutting a length of not more than 1 mm from the edge, so as not to hurt the kitten.
These measures will be enough to try to protect furniture upholstery and wallpaper from tearing.
The washing up
It is often not necessary to wash a pet, it is enough 1 time in 1 or 2 months. In order for a kitten to get used to water faster, it is important to provide him with a comfortable wash:
- lay rags at the bottom so that paws do not part;
- make the water temperature about 38 C;
- depth - to the middle of the paws;
- the stream should be thin;
- be sure to stroke, talk with the pet affectionately (because the first bath can scare the baby);
- use a special shampoo for cats and rinse thoroughly.
The basic rule is when washing it is impossible to wet the kitten's head, ears and eyes. After the procedure, wrap the animal in a soft towel and dry the hair, and after that - do not let the pet dry in the drafts.
Shiny and soft coat - an indicator of the health of the animal. In order for her to always look “excellent”, complex care will be required:
- balanced diet;
- keeping the kitten clean (timely washing);
- and actually caring for a pet's fur coat - combing with special scallops and combs (not human).
To care for the hair of a kitten in 2 months, it is important to comply with all of the above conditions.
A kitten at 2 months old should already have its own toys, otherwise "forbidden" small objects may go into play. Sometimes the baby is able to play independently for a long timebut if the owner will keep him company - for the pet this will be a double joy. A fluffy family member during these joint games will feel loved and will be much happier than those kittens that are constantly left to their own devices.
Caring for a kitten at 2 months is both a pleasure and a job, so before you get a pet, you need to correctly weigh all your capabilities and your readiness for responsibility.