Monge cat food owes its appearance to a unique occasion. 50 years ago, in Italy, on a small chicken farm for restaurants, the question arose of disposing of production residues. It was unprofitable to throw them away, and it was impossible to find a buyer for meat leftovers, even ecologically clean ones. And in 1963, the owner of the family-owned enterprise, Baldassar Monge, came up with the revolutionary idea for those years: to produce pet food. And this idea so coincided with the growing needs of the market that soon the production of meat for restaurants became only a side business, and the production of feed turned into a large-scale business.
The secret of success was that in the middle of the last century, pets ate mainly food intended for humans. And this did not affect their health and life expectancy in the best way. The need to create special feeds that take into account the needs of cats is long overdue, and therefore the creators of the Monge brand got their idea right on target.
Monge: the perfect cat food
Regardless of where the purr lives: in an apartment, nursery or wildlife, her physiological needs remain the same. And these are the needs of a predator. Food should be fresh, contain the maximum amount of protein, vitamins and only a few plant inclusions. In fact, nature itself prompted the recipe for Montju food. Initially, only wet meat was included in the wet and dry feed from Monge. The formulation was additionally enriched with such important components as vitamin E, taurine and carbohydrates of plant origin.
Such an attractive composition quickly made Monge cat food popular with breeders and cattery owners, and after them the owners of the brand who really loved their animals and were worried about their food became fans of the brand.
Today, the principles of the brand have not changed, and thanks to this, Monge feeds belong to the super premium class, the main distinguishing features of which are: naturalness, safety and a balanced composition. Own production, located in an ecologically clean region of Italy, careful control over production, safety concerns and the use of raw materials grown without antibiotics and growth hormones, make Monge dry food for cats the ideal diet for furry dogs of any breed and any age.
Monge cat food line: thoughtful variety
Five main lines of feed allow owners to find the best feed for their pet.
- Classic dry cat food (Daily Line Cat).
High-protein food intended for daily feeding of healthy pets. Three options are divided by age: there is food for kittens, as well as pregnant and lactating females, for adult animals and for older individuals over 11 years old.
- Functional Feed (Functional Line Cat).
This group presents diets for sterilized cats, for animals living at home, as well as feed for removing wool from the body and prevention of urolithiasis.
- Natural wet canned food (Monge Natural)
Six types of canned food based on meat and fish: with tuna and chicken, tuna and salmon, tuna, chicken and beef, with chicken and seafood, with tuna, chicken and shrimp, as well as only tuna.
- Food suitable for the physiological needs of cats.
For adult predators with developed instincts, two options for dry food are offered: with anchovies and rabbit meat. This diet is high in protein and allows cats to receive the same set of nutrients that they would receive while hunting on their own in the wild.
- Grain Free Veterinary Diets
Animals suffering from any disease become sensitive to feed and its composition. Oxidative processes occurring in a sick body inevitably affect digestion, worsening it. At the same time, the quality and speed of digestion of food is often a decisive factor in recovery. The cereal-free veterinary line includes diets for cats with diabetes mellitus, overweight, liver diseases, renal failure, gastroenterological pathologies, skin and urinary system diseases.
Monge Cat Food: Composition and Features
Most of the popular and advertised food for cats contains quite controversial substances from the point of view of veterinary medicine. First of all, we are talking about cereals, especially wheat and corn. They are practically not absorbed by the digestive system of domestic predators, and serve only to increase the amount of feed. In fact, the owner, thinking that he is saving, buys a dummy that the pet does not need, but which the manufacturer needs to increase its income. In addition, cereals can cause allergies in cats. In this case, only rice can be considered an exception - it is not dangerous for the purr, although its assimilation is far from perfect.
Very dangerous and popular ingredients of artificial chemical origin: flavors, improvers and flavor enhancers. The body of cats is absolutely not able to digest and remove them, as a result - the accumulation of toxins, poisoning, malfunctioning of the excretory organs and liver.
In order to understand how balanced the food for Monge cats is, we will examine in detail the composition of several food options.
Canned tuna and salmon include:
- Pulp of tuna - 45%. This is a very good indicator, as a high protein content, as well as omega-3 and 6 acids, have a positive effect on the cat’s health.
- Chicken - 25%. A cheaper, but less useful source of protein, without which the normal functioning of the cat's body is impossible.
- Salmon 5%. Proteins, fish oil and an additional source of taste and natural aroma. A great component, especially if the animal loves fish.
- Rice 1%. The minimum content of plant ingredients is a prerequisite for high-quality premium and super premium feed. In this case, the ratio of protein to fiber is ideal. Moreover, it is important that hypoallergenic rice is chosen from cereals, which a priori will not harm the pet.
- Vitamin E. An additionally introduced supplement that is safe for the animal and enhances its immunity.
It is important that this composition is fully consistent with what the owner himself sees by opening a jar of food. Reviews of Monge cat food from owners and breeders suggest that canned food is clearly natural: slices, not fiber, tuna and chicken and small interspersed rice grains are clearly visible. Unlike other lines of the brand, canned food is produced in Thailand, as this allows you to use the freshest fish products that have not passed freezing and long transportation.
Food for sterilized cats. This version of the diet requires a very delicate attitude on the part of the producer: the animal, deprived of the functions of reproduction, is able to gain weight faster, so the composition of the feed should take this feature into account. And the growing popularity of such operations makes the release of food for sterile pets very popular. The food from Monge includes:
- Chicken meat - 36%. Of these, 26% are dehydrated products, and 10% is fresh. A good source of protein that does not unduly increase the cost of feed.
- Wheat and corn gluten meal. Not the most ideal component that can provoke allergic reactions. Introduction to the composition is caused by the need to give pads volume.
- Hydrolyzed animal protein. A good component that increases the total percentage of protein in the feed mass.
- Chicken Fat The manufacturer chose the best ingredient for pussies: pork and beef fat strike a significant blow to their liver, while chicken is a classic safe source of calories.
- Insoluble pea fiber. Fiber in this case is designed to help the digested feed pass through the loop of the intestine and leave the body as quickly as possible.
- Taurine is an indispensable substance that cats can only get from the outside. In wildlife, this happens when eating raw prey, in an apartment, its presence in the body depends entirely on the conscientiousness and attentiveness of the feed producer.
- Fish and fish oil. The most important source of fatty acids responsible for the brain and the level of immunity of the animal.
In general, the composition is more than good, and fully meets the expectations of the super premium class. The presence of cornmeal and wheat is a bit confusing: if the producer replaced them with rice and its derivatives, the composition would be ideal.
Reviews of veterinarians and owners
The online reviews of Monge cat food are dramatically different from other brands. First of all, the absence of negative opinions is impressive - the feed really suits almost all pussies and helps to solve veterinary problems.
Andrey Lvovich, veterinarian
“Monge had heard about food for a long time, but was able to establish supplies relatively recently. The Grain Free line was especially impressive: I tried it on sick animals several times, the condition improved several times, when combined with competent treatment. I recommend it to animals after surgery, when it is important to establish the work of internal organs , I’ve never heard complaints or complaints from the owners. "
Irina, Siberian cat Ray
"Our main problem is always the wool. It is so difficult to remove it from the body after endless licks. The cat was sometimes so tormented, it was scary to look. She found the Hairball from Monge according to reviews. The price was impressive, but the result exceeded all expectations: the cat no longer shudders in painful convulsions, trying to get rid of the accumulated "wealth".
Cost: are the costs justified?
The price of cat food Monge does not belong to the budget category: you will have to pay at least 150 rubles for a can of canned food. A pack of regular (non-therapeutic) dry food will cost even more: 400 grams cost 250-300 rubles. A large packaging (1500 grams) "will please" at a price of at least 800 rubles.
You can view the current price of feed and buy it right here:
To make a purchase profitable will help to purchase immediately large packaging: 10 kg cost about 3200-3400 rubles. A simple calculation shows that in this case 400 grams of feed will cost not 250, but only 140-150 rubles.
Prices for high protein and veterinary feeds are much higher than the usual dry diet: from 900 rubles per one and a half kilograms.
In general, the cost of Monge food is fully justified if we recall its composition and exceptional environmental friendliness: the company that supplies poultry to the tables of the best Italian restaurants does not use additives, antibiotics and stimulants for the production of meat.
Are there any disadvantages?
Significant disadvantages in cat food Monge will not find even the most picky owner or veterinarian. The composition, properties, naturalness and safety in this case are really at a high level.
The disadvantages can be considered high, albeit quite justified, cost, and relative inaccessibility. Often it is very difficult to find this food even in large online stores.