Sooner or later, any owner of a furry pet will have a moment when his pet or pet needs a partner, and then you have to solve the problem of mating cats and cats. And if you are not a veterinarian, and are not related to the science of felinology, then of course you cannot know all the subtleties and nuances of mating animals. How is she going? Should owners be prepared for this process? How to avoid mistakes? And if the animals do not mate, what could be the reason? This article will help you solve many questions and come to the aid of your pet in time.
Suitable age for mating
Many cats mature by the age of seven months, but this does not mean that they are ready for mating. If the animal behaves calmly, then there is still no reason for concern, but if changes in behavior are observed, this already speaks of “combat readiness”. What exactly indicates that your pet is ready for mating?
- The cat began to mark territory in various places;
- He began to actively show aggression, which was not noticed before:
- You regularly hear his lingering howl;
- Your pet is trying to slip out into the street;
- Soft toys began to act as a sexual object.
With cats, things are a little different. They mature at the same age as cats, but the hormonal system is fully formed by a year and a half. Therefore, it is better to wait until this period, even if your pet has already begun to give “signals” about his readiness for conception. The following symptoms indicate the cat's puberty:
- Mournful and sometimes continuous persistent meow;
- The kitty often rolls on the floor, arching in the back;
- She loses interest in the owner, refuses food;
- Before, an affectionate pet becomes aggressive;
- And vice versa: a previously active cat becomes lethargic.
Preparing a cat for mating
When it becomes obvious that the cat is about to “date” with the cat, the necessary measures should be taken to properly prepare her pet for the meeting with the “groom”. What nuances need to be considered before giving it for mating?
- If mating is planned, do not give the cat any hormonal preparations, they negatively affect the body and can harm the reproductive system.
- Make sure that the female has been vaccinated and there are no diseases - they can affect the birth of sick kittens.
- Mating is best done on the territory of the cat - in the usual environment for him, the male is less nervous. Remember to prepare a convenient carry in advance.
- Keep in mind the fact that the "bride" will become aggressive to the "groom" and may scratch him. Therefore, before mating, do not forget to cut a claw a little cat.
- In no case do not wash the female before the “date”, as the shampoo will interrupt her natural smell, and the male simply will not perceive her as a potential bride.
What do you need to bring with you?
Just taking your pet to mating is not enough, you need to make sure that the cat's “wedding” is successful. Remember that the female will fall into someone else's territory, where she should feel more or less comfortable. In order for the cat to calm down at least a little, do not forget to bring along her rug, on which she is used to sleeping, the familiar smell will have a beneficial effect on her nervous system. Also, it will not be amiss to take her favorite food, comb and, if possible, a tray. You can grab your favorite toy, which the "bride" can be distracted by. As for the male, then he will need a rubber litter so that the paws do not slip when knitting.
How cats and cats mate
At a personal meeting, animals begin to get acquainted. Usually the male is the first to show interest and carefully “cares” for the new girlfriend. He gives her all sorts of signs of attention, trying to interest him. In most cases, females behave aggressively at first, but usually calm down quickly. And this is only the very beginning of the acquaintance, a rather long “foreplay” awaits them, which can last up to several days.
Mating itself occurs quickly, from ten seconds to three minutes, and consists in the fact that the cat arches its back and the cat crushes it under itself, holding its teeth by the scruff. Do not be alarmed if during this process your pet yells heartbrokenly, this is a normal reaction. After everything ends, the female calms down, and some cats even endure the "act of love" indifferently. For mating, one mating is usually sufficient, but for greater effectiveness, experts recommend leaving the cat with the cat for several days so that mating is repeated.
Help from the owners
Mating is a natural process, but despite this, animals need the attention of their owners. And so as not to wonder why the cat does not mate with the cat, the mating should be controlled. Remember that this process requires maximum patience.
- Take care. Do not rush your favorites, do not push them towards each other - this will only aggravate the situation. "Newlyweds" must themselves reach a certain stage.
- In no case do not raise your voice on pets if you see that they can’t come to an agreement. It is possible that they simply could not "agree".
- If you see that potential partners have already switched to a showdown, you can stop the meeting. It’s definitely not necessary to rely on them to get along anyway.
- In the event of proximity, monitor the situation. The female may need your help if she begins to fall on her side, restricting access to her partner.
- After the successful completion of the “date”, carefully examine the female for wounds, because the male in a fit of passion can accidentally leave scratches on the cat.
Why pregnancy does not occur?
Unfortunately, it also happens that even after several meetings, the fertilization of the female does not occur. The cause may be infertility of the cat, but if earlier it had already mated successfully, then it is necessary to examine the cat. What could be the results?
- The cat has either obesity or exhaustion;
- Obvious reproductive system problems;
- Chronic stage stress
- Any viral diseases are possible;
- Deficiency of minerals and vitamins in food:
- Failure in the hormonal system of the body;
- Knitting just done at the wrong time.
Can a castrated cat mate with a cat?
Some owners are surprised to find that their pet, even after castration, shows interest in the opposite sex, and sometimes even tries to mate with a cat. How can this be if the operation was carried out specifically so that the male was indifferent to the females? In fact, there are cases when a castrated cat can mate with a cat, but only if he already has such experience. That is, if the pet already knew the “taste of love” before the operation, and now does it, rather, out of habit. But of course, he will no longer have offspring.
If the male was neutered before his first mating, then mating with the female is impossible. If only because the cat simply does not know what it is and why it is needed. It also happens that a beloved pet after surgery continues to stubbornly ask for a cat. Do not be surprised and do not panic, the testosterone level has not yet fallen in the cat. Show some patience and it will pass soon. This condition does not last long, it is a kind of side effect of the operation.
What if a castrated cat asks for a cat?
The cat’s further behavior after surgery depends on his age and the number of mating before castration. If the pet's “dates” were held regularly, then he remembers how it was and can try to mate again. Sometimes castrated cats do this, and they even experience pleasure. But over time, such desires disappear, because the body no longer needs it. If the pet underwent surgery at a young age, not having time to learn the “taste of love”, but for some reason asks the female, it means that the hormone responsible for sexual desire still remains in his body. And whether a neutered cat can mate with a cat depends on his past “experience”. If he has something to remember, then a “date” may well take place, and in no case should you worry about this. Since the pet does this “from old memory”, and not out of desire. In some kennels they even specially keep such “loving” cats - for cats that the owners do not want to mate, but lead to a castrated cat for “reassurance”.
Will a sterilized cat ask for a cat?
After sterilization, the female gonads remain, but she loses her reproductive function, that is, they become infertile. A cat will no longer be able to have kittens, but periods of estrus will occur in her, respectively - the desire for close communication with the cat will remain. Such an operation is ideal for females who love to walk on the street - they will "meet" with the males, but not become pregnant. If the cat is home and does not go out at all, then it is better for her to have castration - an operation to remove the ovaries. After it, the female disappears in heat and the desire for "dates" with cats. A castrated cat will not ask for a cat, even if it had already given birth. Whereas a sterilized cat will sometimes be interested in the opposite sex, and mate with cats, but without any consequences. In both cases, the female who underwent the operation, whether castration or sterilization, will no longer be able to bring offspring.
Still have questions? You can ask them to the veterinarian of our site in the comments box below, which will respond to them as soon as possible.